Marion Nestle and Linda Bartoshuk: Today’s Focus of the MarketPlace Specials Posted on September 30th, 2010 by

Meet the ideas of Marion Nestle and Linda Bartoshuk, by way of your palate!

Today’s Nobel-inspired meals invite you into the research of Bartoshuk, the psychologist whose research into taste first led to the discovery of “supertasters,” and Marion Nestle, the biologist/nutritionist whose work focuses on nutrition, public policy and the food industry.

Inspired by Bartoshuk, we bring you 5 Alarm Chili with grass fed beef or (for the vegetarians and you tamer meat eaters) creamy white vegetarian chili with Big Hill Farm peppers and chilies.  Bartoshuk’s studies of taste and tactile sensations influence this menu of hot spice and smooth, silky cream. (See Bartoshuk’s answer to the question “why are peppers hot?” at the PBS website.)

When we approached Bartoshuk for ideas, she suggested that we play around with “demonstrating the association between the burn of chilis and supertasting.  Those who taste the PROP paper [paper infused with a chemical that separates the supertasters from the rest of us] as intensely bitter will feel greater burn from all chili products.  Supertasters will also feel more intense tactile sensations (e.g., creaminess) from high fat foods.” (What’s a supertaster?)

The author of a book with the title What To Eat, Marion Nestle notes that “as long as foods are real and relatively unprocessed, and the menu has plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and everything tastes absolutely delicious, I’ll be more than satisfied.” That led us to the creation of Cage Free Egg Bake with local organic veggies from our own Big Hill Farm and with free range smoked turkey.  This menu respects Marion’s passion for support of local farmers, organic methods, ad humanely raised animals and birds.

In an interview, Nestle noted that “I was lucky to discover the miracle of garden-raised vegetables from the time I was a small child. I still think nothing beats a summer tomato warm from the sun.” When asked about her favorite comfort food, she said “Do you mean junk food? I’m partial to Häagen Dazs vanilla frozen yogurt, preferably with fresh fruit.” And she reports that the one thing she couldn’t live without in her kitchen is “A coffee grinder.” Nestle also reported in that interview “I don’t define anything I eat as a vice. I follow my own advice: eat less, move more, eat lots of fruits, vegetables, and grains, and don’t eat too much junk food. It leaves plenty of flexibility for eating an occasional junk food.”

Enjoy the day’s offerings…and look for Frances Moore Lappe Day tomorrow!

1. […] Check out how the MarketPlace creative team has turned the research of Marion Nestle and Linda Bartoshuk into entrees!   Tweet Categories: Uncategorized Leave a Reply Click here to cancel reply. […]